Esther 2 - The Mrs. Persia Pageant
- When Xerxes is no longer angry, he regrets banishing Vashti.
- His personal attendants suggest he search Persia for “beautiful young virgins.” He can bring them into his harem and give them beauty treatments. Then he can select his favorite to replace Vashti as his queen.
- “This advice appealed to the king, and he followed it.”
- Meanwhile, a jewish man named Mordecai lives in Susa. His grandfather was exiled to Babylon with the rest of Judah. Mordecai took in his orphaned younger cousin, Hadassah, and raised her as his daughter.
- “This young woman, who was also known as Esther, had a lovely figure and was beautiful.”
- When Xerxes’ order goes out for women to be brought into his Harem, Esther is included among them.
- On Mordecai’s warning, Esther keeps her jewish heritage secret.
- Esther undergoes beauty treatments for a year and waits for her turn with Xerxes. She also makes friends with the head eunuch, Hegai, who gives her the best of everything.
- When Esther’s turn to “try out” for the king finally comes, Hegai gives her insider tips. “The king was attracted to Esther more than to any of the other women, and she won his favor and approval more than any of the other virgins.”
- Xerxes gives Esther a crown and makes her the new Queen of Persia. Then he throws a banquet for her to celebrate.
- Meanwhile, Mordecai overhears two palace guards plotting to assassinate Xerxes and warns Esther. Esther then warns Xerxes, giving Mordecai credit for discovering the conspiracy.
- Xerxes has the treacherous guards impales on giant spikes.
- Evil King Xerxes forces a harem to undergo a year of beauty treatments and compete with each other for his affection.
- But Jesus loved us enough to die for us “while we were still sinners.”